Office for Cooperation with Civil Society Organisations and Partnerships
Irène Serot Almeras
You will find on these pages all the information related to the Office:
- Call for proposals 2014
Click to learn more about the fund to support partnerships between French and American NGOs, created in 2011.
- Newsletters: "Civil Society News from the U.S."
Our last four Newsletters are available on this page.
TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER CLICK HERE
Find three publications focused on U.S. foundations.
- Franco-American Exchanges
Woodrow Wilson Center, Global Philanthropy Forum, Forum Interaction, ...
Give1Project, Jean-Michel Severino, Care, ...
Every private and governmental actor acknowledges today the importance of "making as much, if not more, with less". French and American International Solidarity Organizations (ISOs: NGOs with a focus on humanitarian action and development) face the same challenge of finding new sources of funding.
Similar to InterAction in the United States, Coordination Sud and the Portal for National NGO Platforms in France take part in international debates on such topics as: aid effectiveness, the search for innovative funding, the place of philanthropy, the recognition of the private sector as a new mechanism of development, and recent trends linked to social entrepreneurship, to the up and coming "bottom of the pyramid" (BOP) market, and to private equity.
At the same time, the traditional bilateral and multilateral actors of development aid engage in dialogue with ISOs and recognize their capacity to execute on-the-ground work.
Primary undertakings of the Office for Cooperation with Civil Society Organizations
The Office’s aim is to foster an overseas network of transatlantic civil society organizations (CSOs). The Office facilitates partnerships amongst ISOs and amongst CSOs, fosters collaboration between the philanthropy sectors of the two countries, and works to increase the visibility of French development institutions in the U.S.
Regarding its objectives, the Office:
- organizes topical conferences (French and American Partnerships among NGOs, Violence Targeting Women) and co-finances micro-projects selected by a French-American committee;
- takes part in various liaison committees with the civil society sector organized by the U.S. Department of State (as well as other American governmental agencies) or multilateral institutions such as the UN and World Bank;
- shares information by publishing thematic reports (previous topics include American environmental foundations and American foundations financing French ISOs) in addition to a newsletter that keeps readers informed about major events pertaining to global philanthropy, actions of American international NGOs and news from institutions like the World Bank.
In addition, the Office serves the General Department for Globalization (a division of the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs) through the disbursement of information on current U.S. issues. In particular, The Office provides information on subjects related to development and the preparation of large international conferences such as the World Water Forum and RIO +20. The Office for Cooperation with Civil Society Organizations also keeps abreast of any changes in upcoming deadlines (Beyond 2015, Post-Busan discussions, etc).